“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
—Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!
I love to read; I always have. Even as a young child you could find me with my nose buried in a book. I love to read because I love story, travel and new experiences. Reading provides a way to experience the world as it was, is, and perhaps as we imagine it will be.
Are you a senior who has a passion for reading? Here are some ways you can foster that love:
- Connect with children. Whether it’s with your grandchildren, your great-grandchildren or preschoolers at a local school, sharing your love for reading provides a way for you to connect. Contact a local school and join them for story time, where you can share your favorite childhood tale.
- Join a book club. Start a book club with friends. Expand your reading choices by having a different member pick a book each month.
- Make a list. Keep a list of your favorite books. Jot down what you enjoyed about each. There is a website, Goodreads.com, where you can keep lists of books you want to read, books you’ve read and book you’re currently reading. The site provides you with reviews and a place for you to write your own thoughts. It’s a great resource to help you keep track of and remember your favorite books.
- Read to learn. Pick books that challenge you. Try topics such as health, spirituality, politics and history.
- Travel. Did you just finish reading about the Civil War? Visit Gettysburg! Go to the places you’re reading about and experience the stories firsthand.
If you love to read but can’t because of loss of vision, contact Preferred Care at Home. We understand that losing your independence is hard, and we want to be by your side every step of the way. One way we can help the avid reader is by sending our reliable, compassionate caregivers to your home to sit with you and read—because we agree with former first lady Laura Bush, “Reading will give you lasting pleasure.”
© 2016-2017 Preferred Care at Home, a division of Help at Home Franchise Service, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Services may vary depending on the licensing of each Preferred Care at Home Franchise location. Each location is individually owned and responsible for controlling and managing day-to-day business operations.